Saturday 4 February 2017

Reddit, Quora, and online forums

Sometimes, I think I may have limited myself with this blog dedicated to Books, Film and TV.  On something completely non-topical and different as a genre, I came across a series of online "advice columns" where people post questions and the Internet, in the form of crowd sourcing, answers these people's questions, for example, questions are discussed in places like Reddit or Quora sites. I also recently heard a podcast talking about the "Ask a grown man", program, where where confused (usually girls) can ask a grown man a question or series of questions through letters, and whoever volunteers to answer these questions gives them an honest sincere answer (while making their identity anonymous). I thought that sounded cool, found an example of it with one of my favorite gurus, Stephen Colbert https://vimeo.com/102088000

On a different forum, I did find something amusing in response to the question "Can a guy hate you because he's in love with you?"  While many people commented that this sounded like the behaviour of a very young man (it was confirmed), there seem to be a surge in insightful and witty people out in the Internet ether. 

A response from handle name "imago": 
"Honey, we are men! We are complex beings capable of all manner of juxtapositions! We can bend the laws of physics. Just this morning, I ordered an extra large Pepsi in an extra small cup. 
I can hate you while loving you.
I have also been known to pay unfaltering attention to you while intensely ignoring you.
So the short answer is, yes."

It's interesting how advice columns have shifted from being broadcast through newspapers to radio, to online media.   Mode of communication has changed, but format had just adapted to new technology. Indeed-- what interesting times we live in!





No comments:

Post a Comment